Proven, capable, adaptable.
Reinvigorating UK shipbuilding
Team 31 is a fully integrated project team, head-quartered in Bristol with extensive ship design and build experience, and a unique product designed to be delivered within the programme. The team comprises:
- Babcock – ship design, build, assembly, platform integration and complex project management with a wealth of naval engineering experience
- Thales – Combat Systems Integrator; combat management system and equipment design, build and integration
- Odense Maritime Technology (OMT) – platform design for our proven, in-service parent (or baseline) design
- BMT – Leading naval platform design, customisation, and technical support
Team 31 will deliver the maximum capability within the allocated Type 31 budget, and offer affordable export variants that will enable build efficiencies and regional prosperity benefits.
Team 31 brings together a unique combination of:
- naval and commercial vessel design, with extensive experience of compliance with both naval and commercial design standards
- naval and commercial vessel build with modern, robust delivery practices
- an established, proven and exportable combat management system
- trusted combat systems design, build and integration experience
- extensive naval engineering capability and highly skilled workforces
- proven and efficient naval customer requirements and acceptance management processes
- comprehensive safety and environmental management processes and compliance
- world leading experience in naval platform in-service support with a deep understanding of support cost drivers
Reinvigorating UK Shipbuilding
Team 31 will invest in these trusted long-term relationships and foster new ones over the lifecycle of the programme as it aims to benefit global customers. And in supporting the National Shipbuilding Strategy’s stated requirements, it will deliver the maximum UK prosperity through increased job and apprenticeship opportunities across the country from small communities to major cities.
Furthermore, our distributed build programme seeks to spread the UK investment in the Type 31 Frigates down into the Small to Medium Enterprises and through the supply chain. Team 31 will seek to maximise a UK based workforce in excess of 2500 skilled and experienced employees; creating 150+ technical apprenticeships and training programme opportunities.